The Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, is located in downtown St. Louis on land that was donated by Auguste Chouteau and Judge John B. Lucas to the city under the stipulation that it would forever be used for a courthouse. The courthouse that is seen today began as a brick building in 1828 and has undergone many periods of construction, demolition and renovation to become the beautiful building that it is today.
Exhibits at the Old Courthouse include tracing St. Louis' history, the historic slavery trial of Dred Scott and his wife Harriet, two restored courtrooms, one restored to its 1860's appearance and the other to its 1910 appearance. Many special events are held at the Old Courthouse throughout the year. Admission to the Old Courthouse is free and is open daily from 8am to 4:30pm; closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.