Carol's Willow Walking Tour in Historic Bellefontaine Cemetery features a two-hour walking tour exploring the cemetery led by Master Guide Carol who combines brief sketches of some of the permanent residents, iconography, and history that brought Bellefontaine cemetery into being in the 19th century.
Tours are held "Rain or Shine." Reservations are required by calling the cemetery office, 314-381-0750, or registering online - see website. The tour is FREE, but donations are appreciated.
The historic Bellefontaine Cemetery was started in 1849 by a group of prominent men from the city of St. Louis. Almerin Hotchkiss, an associate of Frederick Law Olmsted who designed New York's Central Park, was hired to design the layout of the cemetery. Hotchkiss became friends with Henry Shaw and with his help, the cemetery is now noted to have one of the finest collections of trees in the St. Louis area. Amazing examples of architecture and cemetery art can also be found at Bellefontaine Cemetery, as well as the final resting places for many famous people including Adolphus Busch, of the famed Anheuser-Busch beer brewery; William Clark, famous explorer of the Lewis and Clark Expedition; and James Eads, architect who designed the St. Louis Eads Bridge.
Bellefontaine Cemetery is open daily for visiting 8am to 5pm, with extended hours in the summer. The Cemetery hosts many private and public, bus, walking and special themed tours throughout the year.
Please check the website listed on each event to get the most up-to-date information.