Date: Apr 07, 2018 | Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Walking Tours of St. Louis. Take a 2 hour walking tour of St. Louis and learn about the fascinating 251+ year history of the city and about some of the groundbreaking architecture located there. Tours are held every Saturday, at 10am, April through October. Experienced tour guides, volunteers from Landmarks Association of St. Louis will share remarkable stories about Downtown St. Louis, Washington Avenue and Grand Center.
Three Downtown Tours and the Grand Center Tour are available:
The East Tour - The Heart of Downtown - Every Saturday - leaves from the Old Courthouse on the 4th Street entrance side of the building, opposite Luther Ely Smith Square.
West Tour - Beyond the Arch - every Saturday - a tour of the west half of Downtown-leaves from the main entrance to the Union Station Hotel on Market Street.
North Tour - Washington Avenue - tours 3rd to 18th Street - First and Third Saturdays of the month - a tour of Washington Avenue-leaves from the entrance to the TIGIN Irish Pub in the Hampton Inn on Washington Avenue.
Grand Center Arts District Tour - Second and Fourth Saturdays of the month - tour of the Grand Center-leaves from the stage in Strauss Park at 3534 Washington Avenue at Grand.
Tours are held concurrently, each starting at 10am on Saturdays, April - October. Each tour is $10 (cash only) per adult, 12 and under are free. No reservations needed for groups under 10, just show up at the starting point of the tour. For groups over 10 call 314-690-3140 to make arrangements. See website for complete details of each tour.
The Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, is located in downtown St. Louis on land that was donated by Auguste Chouteau and Judge John B. Lucas to the city under the stipulation that it would forever be used for a courthouse. The courthouse that is seen today began as a brick building in 1828 and has undergone many periods of construction, demolition and renovation to become the beautiful building that it is today.
Exhibits at the Old Courthouse include tracing St. Louis' history, the historic slavery trial of Dred Scott and his wife Harriet, two restored courtrooms, one restored to its 1860's appearance and the other to its 1910 appearance. Many special events are held at the Old Courthouse throughout the year. Admission to the Old Courthouse is free and is open daily from 8am to 4:30pm; closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.