Date: Jul 28, 2017 | Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Free Family Fridays at the Old Courthouse are hour long theme-based programs that participants of all ages can learn about St. Louis and the Westward expansion during the 1800s. Free Family Fridays will be held May 26th through September 1st. These events are FREE and open to the public. See website for all the details.
2017 Schedule of Weekly Themes:
-Colonial St. Louis - May 26, June 30, August 4
-Lewis and Clark - June 2, July 7, August 11
-Mountain Men - June 9, July 14, August 18
-Pioneers - June 16, July 21, August 25
-Plains Indians - June 23, July 28, September 1st
The Old Courthouse, part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, is located in downtown St. Louis on land that was donated by Auguste Chouteau and Judge John B. Lucas to the city under the stipulation that it would forever be used for a courthouse. The courthouse that is seen today began as a brick building in 1828 and has undergone many periods of construction, demolition and renovation to become the beautiful building that it is today.
Exhibits at the Old Courthouse include tracing St. Louis' history, the historic slavery trial of Dred Scott and his wife Harriet, two restored courtrooms, one restored to its 1860's appearance and the other to its 1910 appearance. Many special events are held at the Old Courthouse throughout the year. Admission to the Old Courthouse is free and is open daily from 8am to 4:30pm; closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day.